7/2/11

Open for the Season

Ok, I'm a little remiss in blogging... my life got crazy and I've had no free time (that's my excuse at any rate).  But I feel guilty about it so I'm going to try it again.  I've got 2 posts ready to go this July 4th weekend.  I'll be up at the airfield on and off this weekend so hopefully I'll get some more stories.

There is a red and white Pitts Special (S-2) at the airfield, much of the time it's in a hangar but lately it has been out and flying.   A Pitts is a small, light aerobatic biplane designed by Curtis Pitts.  It was first flown in 1944 and has dominated aerobatic competition since it's introduction.  It is currently built by Aviat Aircraft and if you go to their website you'll see some amazing pictures of this aircraft.

My daughter had the opportunity to have a ride in the one at the airfield (I was offered a ride as well, but I'm not that great at upside down, been there, done that) and these pictures are from her ride.  I was on the ground holding my breath but of course Chris is a wonderful pilot and the ride went off without a hitch.  She loved it.  The pictures here are:  The Pitts with Chris and another passenger (not Cay),  Chris helping Cay get in the plane, and Cay and Chris upside down over the airfield.

They fly it occasionally in the evenings, after the biplane customers are gone, just to have fun, so keep your eyes on the sky.

Oh and by the way, the title for this post is "Open for the Season" - which of course refers to the airfield.  You too can ride in a biplane, a bright red WACO (although the plane can, you won't be going upside down).  The view of Cape Cod from the air is NOT to be missed.  It is a nice relaxing ride from about 1000 ft.  and you'll see woods, beaches, salt marshes, lakes and Martha's Vineyard on a clear day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!