4/27/10

If everything seems to be in control, you're not going fast enough.... (Mario Andretti)


Racing ... it's life. Everything that comes before or after is just waiting (Steven McQueen in LaMans).

Did I mention that I grew up in the Motor City?  I love cars and I spent my youth around them.  Torn apart in garages, drag racing on Woodward Avenue, top ending on I-75, and hitting the race tracks... Motor City Speedway, Dixie Motor Speedway, Tri City Speedway, just to name a few. (please note: different times, different era - I'm not advocating anyone street race or drive over the speed limit)


My brother and his friend Charlie were always tearing down and rebuilding.  We had a Jag torn down in our garage for years.  I remember Charlie doing demo derby's too, he eventually went on to work for some of the greatest auto racing teams in the world. (who knows where he is now

When I was in high school it was all about the "coolest" car.  The word "coolest" meant different things to all of us.  Cindy use to drive her dad's International Harvester Scout around occasionally and that was different (and pretty cool).  Her regular car was an old Cougar painted like a zebra!  My dad drove a British Racing Green Jag XKE for a while (I got to drive it once) so he was cool too. 

Because my dad was a bigwig at GM everyone knew him and I was cool by association.  It didn't hurt my coolness factor that I had access to a lot of GM concept cars.  I use to drive the Mako Shark in the parade at the Franklin Round-Up and got to go to the Indy 500 every year (very noisy).

I still love cars and if I won the lottery I'd buy one of two of my all time favorite classic cars (depending on jackpot, maybe I'd buy both):  A nice little deuce coupe (1932 Ford) or a 1963 split window Corvette.  I've always dreamed of having either (both), they are really great classic cars.  I've had a few nice ones over the years:  a 1973 454 'vette, a cute little MGB convertible, a few Z-28's.  

Sadly for the auto purists who read this blog... some where along the line I fell in love with VW's.  My very first was a 1960's electric yellow Station Wagon.  It was the "dog car", the car I used for transporting my Enrico Fermi Airedale (don't ask, long story).  Then it was a late 1960's bug with a sunroof.  Then a real prize; I got a 1973 convertible Super Beetle in bright yellow.  

I remember going up, one dark and stormy night, to NH to meet my sister in law, Cathy and nephew, David in that car.  It died on the highway close to our destination.  I was 8 months preggers and my ex pushed that car to where we were going.  He'd push it up the hill (mountain?) and hop in the passenger side for the ride downhill.  We found out the next day the throttle broke and he tied a string on it, which ran from the engine (which was in the rear) around the rear fender and in the driver side window.  We drove all weekend pulling that string to go!  You can't do that with just any car...  These day I drive a special edition New Beetle.

So what does all this have to do with the airfield?  If you look at the banner for this blog (at the top).... that's Chris's '57 Dodge hemi.  He built it himself and I'm thinking it's inter-cooled with a blower system (don't quote me on this).  I'm pretty sure it cranks out over 600 hp on a good day.  If you come by the airfield in good weather you'll most likely see it out by the hanger.  My daughter tells me it's a nice ride, although I've not been lucky enough to get one yet (hint hint).  

I think if you have an old classic car you should bring it by the airfield, it will certainly be appreciated.  As a matter of fact, I think we should designate a day this summer where everyone with a classic car should come by.  And I bet I could work it out where if you turn up with a classic car on that day, you get a discount on a biplane ride (don't quote me on that one yet either).  Does a New Beetle count?

1 comment:

  1. wow...am loving the looks of these cars... i dont understand much about the machines as such [i dont even drive :( ] ..but i totally love the way they look


    http://donotshoeme.blogspot.com/

    follow if u like what u see?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to hear from you!