3/27/10

The Beech 18

I discovered the airfield about a year ago and since then have been a regular visitor.  I live near by so I always knew it was there and many times I'd sit in the parking lot and watch the planes come and go.  I  never had the guts to get out and introduce myself.  Finally last year I did and I had a blast there last summer.

Lately the airfield has been busy with everyone making plans for the upcoming summer season.  People are already booking biplane rides and buying gift certificates.  The sky dive guys are coming back from where ever it is they go in the winter.  But until the season really gears up I'll post some of my pictures from last year here as a teaser.

Last year we had a really nice Beech 18 (or Twin Beech) at the airfield.  This plane, also called C-45, saw military service during and after WW II.  It's a taildragger and also has twin tail fins.  It was manufactured by the Beech Aircraft Corporation of Wichita, Kansas.  The first Beech 18 prototype flew in January 1937 and the last one made was in 1970 (that last one went to Japan Airlines).  Beechcraft set a record, that still stands today, for the longest continuous production of a piston engine airplane.

They were also used as commercial aircraft and the one that was at the airfield did fly commercial. It had rows of seats in it, reading lights, and barf bags.  I consider myself so lucky to have had a number of rides in it because most are now in private hands and are prized collectibles.  Sadly our Beech was sold and I really miss it, such a cool airplane.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you!